View a manual of the Sylvania KVS600A below. All manuals on ManualsCat.com can be viewed completely free of charge. By using the 'Select a language' button, you can choose the language of the manual you want to view.
IMPORTANT SAFEGUARDS PRECAUTIONS DESCRIPTION OF CONTROLS PREPARATION FOR USE SETUP PLAYBACK FUNCTION RECORDING FUNCTION SPECIAL FEATURES WARRANTY INSTRUCCIONES EN ESPAÑOL SPECIFICATIONS MAINTENANCE TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE OWNER’S MANUAL VIDEO CASSETTE RECORDER If you need additional operating assistance after reading this owner's manual or to order replacement accessories, please call TOLL FREE : 1-800-968-3429. KVS600A CAUTION: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO NOT REMOVE COVER (OR BACK). NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE. REFER SERVICING TO QUALIFIED SERVICE PERSONNEL. The caution marking is located on the rear of the cabinet. The lightning flash with arrowhead symbol, within an equilateral triangle, is intended to alert the user to the presence of uninsulated "dangerous voltage" within the product's enclosure that may be of suffi- cient magnitude to constitute a risk of electric shock to persons. The exclamation point within an equilateral triangle is intended to alert the user to the presence of impor- tant operating and maintenance (servicing) instruc- tions in the literature accompanying the product. CAUTION RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK DO NOT OPEN WARNING: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE OR ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO NOT EXPOSE THIS APPLIANCE TO RAIN OR MOISTURE. IMPORTANT SAFEGUARDS 1. Read Instructions- All the safety and operating instructions should be read before the appliance is operated. 2. Retain Instructions- The safety and operating instructions should be retained for future reference. 3. HeedWarnings- All warnings on the appliance and in the operating instructions should be adhered to. 4. Follow Instructions- All operating and use instructions should be followed. 5. Cleaning- Unplug this video product from the wall outlet before cleaning. Do not use liquid cleaners or aerosol cleaners. Use a damp cloth for cleaning. EXCEPTION: A product that is meant for uninterrupted service and, that for some specific reason, such as the possibility of the loss of an authorization code for a CATV converter, is not intended to be unplugged by the user for cleaning or any other purpose, may exclude the reference to unplugging the appliance in the cleaning description otherwise required in item 5. 6. Attachments- Do not use attachments not recommended by the video product manufacturer as they may cause hazards. 7.Water and Moisture- Do not use this video product near water, for example, near a bath tub, wash bowl, kitchen sink, or laundry tub, in a wet basement, or near a swimming pool, and the like. 8. Accessories- Do not place this video product on an unstable cart, stand, tripod, bracket, or table.The video product may fall, causing serious injury to a child or adult, and serious damage to the appliance.Use only with a cart, stand, tripod, bracket, or table recommended by the manufacturer, or sold with the video product. Any mounting of the appliance should follow the manufacturer's instructions and should use a mounting accessory recommended by the manufacturer.An appliance and cart combination should be moved with care. Quick stops, excessive force, and uneven surfaces may cause the appliance and cart combination to overturn. 9.Ventilation- Slots and openings in the cabinet are provided for ventilation and to ensure reliable operation of the video product and to protect it from overheating, and these openings must not be blocked or covered.The openings should never be blocked by placing the video product on a bed, sofa, rug, or other similar surface.This video product should not be placed in a built-in installation such as a bookcase or rack unless proper ventilation is provided or the manufacturer's instructions have been adhered to . 10. Power Sources- This video product should be operated only from the type of power source indicated on the marking label.If you are not sure of the type of power supply to your home, consult your appliance dealer or local power company.For products intended to operate from battery power, or other sources, refer to the operating instructions. 11. Grounding or Polarization- This video product is equipped with a polarized alternating-current line plug (a plug having one blade wider than the other).This plug will fit into the power outlet only one way.This is a safety feature.If you are unable to insert the plug fully into the outlet, try reversing the plug. If the plug should still fail to fit, contact your electrician to replace your obsolete outlet. Do not defeat the safety purpose of the polarized plug. 12. Power Cord Protection- Power supply cords should be routed so that they are not likely to be walked on or pinched by items placed upon or against them, paying particular attention to cords at plugs, convenience receptacles, and the point where they exit from the appliance. 13. Outdoor Antenna Grounding- If an outside antenna or cable system is connected to the video product, be sure the antenna or cable system is grounded so as to provide some protection against voltage surges and built-up static charges.Article 810 of the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA No.70, provides information with regard to proper grounding of the mast and supporting structure, grounding of the lead-in wire to an antenna discharge unit, size of grounding conductors, location of antenna-discharge unit, connection to grounding electrodes, and requirements for the grounding electrode.(Fig.A) 14. Lightning- For added protection for this video product during a lightning storm, or when it is left unattended and unused for long periods of time, unplug it from the wall outlet and disconnect the antenna or cable system.This will prevent damage to the video product due to lightning and power-line surges. 15. Power Lines- An outside antenna system should not be located in the vicinity of overhead power lines or other electric light or power circuits, or where it can fall into such power lines or circuits.When installing an outside antenna system, extreme care should be taken to keep from touching such power lines or circuits as contact with them might be fatal. 16. Overloading- Do not overload wall outlets and extension cords as this can result in a risk of fire or electric shock. 17. Object and Liquid Entry- Never push objects of any kind into this video product through any openings as they may touch dangerous voltage points or short-out parts that could result in a fire or electric shock.Never spill liquid of any kind on the video product. 18. Servicing- Do not attempt to service this video product yourself as opening or removing covers may expose you to dangerous voltage or other hazards.Refer all servicing to qualified service personnel. 19. Damage Requiring Service- Unplug this video product from the wall outlet and refer servicing to qualified service personnel under the following conditions: a. When the power-supply cord or plug is damaged. b. If liquid has been spilled, or objects have fallen into the video product. c. If the video product has been exposed to rain or water. d. If the video product does not operate normally by following the operating instructions.Adjust only those controls that are covered by the operating instructions as an improper adjustment of other controls may result in damage and will often require extensive work by a qualified technician to restore the video product to its normal operation. e. If the video product has been dropped or damaged in any way. f. When the video product exhibits a distinct change in performance-this indicates a need for service. 20. Replacement Parts- When replacement parts are required, be sure the service technician has used replacement parts specified by the manufacturer or have the same characteristics as the original part. Unauthorized substitutions may result in fire, electric shock or other hazards. 21. Safety Check- Upon completion of any service or repairs to this video product, ask the service technician to perform safety checks to determine that the video product is in proper operating condition. 22. Heat- This video product should be situated away from heat sources such as radiators, heat registers, stoves, or other products (including amplifiers) that produce heat. FIGURE A EXAMPLE OF ANTENNA GROUNDING AS PER NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE ANTENNA LEAD WIRE ANTENNA DISCHARGE UNIT (NEC SECTION 810-20) GROUNDING CONDUCTORS (NEC SECTION 810-21) GROUND CLAMP GROUND CLAMP ELECTRIC SERVICE EQUIPMENT POWER SERVICE GROUNDING ELECTRODE SYSTEM (NEC ART 250, PART H) NEC – NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE S2898A
– 2 – EN PRECAUTIONS DESCRIPTION OF CONTROLS CAUTION: TO PREVENT ELECTRIC SHOCK, MATCH WIDE BLADE OF PLUG TO WIDE SLOT, FULLY INSERT. ATTENTION: POUR ÉVITER LES CHOC ÉLECTRIQUES, INTRODUIRE LA LAME LA PLUS LARGE DE LA FICHE DANS LA BORNE CORRESPONDANTE DE LA PRISE ET POUSSER JUSQU’AU FOND. 1. POWER button 2. NUMBER buttons 3. MENU button 4. DISPLAY button 5. SLOW button 6. REW button 7. STOP button 8. RECORD button 9. PAUSE/STILL button 10. F.FWD button 11. PLAY button 12. COUNTER/MEMORYbutton 13. EXIT/RESET button 14. SEARCH MODE button 15. CHANNEL buttons 16. VCR/TV button 17. EJECT button 22. AC Power Cord 23. AUDIO OUT jacks 24. AUDIO IN jacks 25. ANT. IN jack 26. VIDEO OUT jack 27. VIDEO IN jack 28. CH3/CH4 selector switch 29. ANT. OUT jack Front Panel Display Window CHANNEL TAPE SPEED TIMER TAPE IN POWER VCR/TV VCR/TV POWER REC VIDEO L AUDIO R REW PLAY REC/ OTR MENU STOP/EJECT PAUSE/ STILL F.FWD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 TIMER TAPE IN POWER VCR/TV REC Remote Control POWER VCR/TV 1 2 3 4 5 6 CHANNEL 7 8 9 MENU 0 +100 SEARCH MODE DISPLAY SLOW PLAY REW F.FWD STOP RECORD PAUSE/STILL EXIT COUNTER MEMORY RESET EJECT 17 14 13 11 16 15 12 10 9 3 2 1 5 8 7 6 4 Rear Panel ANT AUDIO VIDEO IN OUT OUT INCH3 CH4 OUT L R IN 23 24 25 26 27 28 30 29 INSTALL LOCATION For safety and optimum performance of your VCR: • Install the VCR in a horizontal and stable position. Do not place anything directly on top of the VCR. Do not place the VCR directly on top of the TV. • Shield it from direct sunlight and keep it away from sources of intense heat. Avoid dusty or humid places. Avoid places with insufficient ventilation for proper heat dissipation. Do not block the ventilation holes on the sides of the VCR. Avoid locations subject to strong vibration or strong magnetic fields. AVOID THE HAZARDS OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK AND FIRE • Do not handle the power cord with wet hands. • Do not pull on the power cord when disconnecting it from AC wall outlet. Grasp it by the plug. • If, by accident, water is spilled on your VCR, unplug the power cord immediately and take the unit to our Authorized Service Center for servicing. • Do not put your fingers or objects into the VCR cassette holder. MOISTURE CONDENSATION WARNING Moisture condensation may occur inside the unit when it is moved from a cold place to a warm place, or after heating a cold room or under conditions of high humidity. Do not use the VCR at least for 2 hours until its inside is dry. FCC WARNING This equipment may generate or use radio frequency energy. Changes or modifications to this equipment may cause harmful interference unless the modifications are expressly approved in the instruction manual. The user could lose the authority to operate this equipment if an unauthorized change or modification is made. IMPORTANT COPYRIGHT INFORMATION Unauthorized recording or use of broadcast television programming, video tape, film or other copyrighted material may violate applicable copyright laws. We assume no responsibility for the unauthorized duplication, use, or other acts which infringe upon the rights of copyright owners. A NOTE ABOUT RECYCLING This product's packaging materials are recyclable and can be reused. Please dispose of any materials in accordance with your local recycling regulations. Batteries should never be thrown away or incinerated but disposed of in accordance with your local regulations concerning chemical wastes. Note to the Cable TV System Installer: This reminder is provided to call the Cable TV system installer’s attention to Article 820-40 of the National Electrical Code, which provides guidelines for proper grounding – in particular, specifying that the cable ground shall be connected to the grounding system of the building, as close to the point of cable entry as possible. Install two AA batteries matching the polarity indicated inside the battery compartment. 1. Cassette Compartment 2. STOP/EJECT button 3. REW button 4. PLAY button 5. F.FWD button 6. PAUSE/STILL button 7. MENU button 8. REC/OTR button 9. CHANNEL buttons 10. TAPE SPEED button 11. Display Window 12. Remote Sensor 13. VCR/TV button 14. POWER button 15. AUDIO Input jacks 16. VIDEO Input jack 17. POWER indicator 18. VCR/TV indicator 19. TAPE IN indicator 20. TIMER indicator 21. REC indicator PRECAUTIONS DESCRIPTION OF CONTROLS To insert the batteries
– 3 – EN PREPARATION FOR USE SETUP 4 Select the On Screen Language ("ENGLISH" or "ESPAÑOL") by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP].Then, press [F.FWD]. 5 Begin channel preset by pressing [F.FWD] once.The tuner scans and memorizes all active channels in your area. • The VCR distinguishes between standard TV channels and cable channels. 6 After scanning, the tuner stops on the lowest memorized channel.The TV screen returns to TV mode. • If "AUTO SET UP" appears on the TV screen again, check the cable connections. Press [F.FWD] once again and the VCR will begin preset again. You can select the desired channel by using [CHANNEL ] or directly pressing [Number] on the remote control. Note for using the Number buttons: • When selecting cable channels which are higher than 99, press [+100] first, then press the last two digits. •You must precede single-digit channel numbers with a zero (For example: 02, 03, 04 and so on). ( ) ACCESSORIES PART NO. Coaxial Cable WPZ0901TM002 Remote Control Unit NA301UD/NA351UD Batteries AA x 2 1 Check contents Make sure the package contains all of the accessories listed in "as below". 2 Situate VCR Place the VCR in a stable, horizontal surface. 3 Connect VCR to TV SUPPLIED ACCESSORIES VCR to AV TV connection using AUDIO/VIDEO Cables VCR to TV Connection 1. Disconnect the AC power cord of the TV from the AC outlet. 2. Disconnect the antenna or cable from the TV. 3. Connect the antenna or cable to the ANT. IN jack of the VCR. 4. Connect the VCR to the TV using the coaxial cable. 5. Plug the AC power cords of the VCR and TV into the AC outlets. OUT IN ANT [VHF/UHF combination antenna] [Back of the VCR] IN OUT [Cable box or satellite box] OR [Indoor antenna] [Back of the UHF/VHF combination TV] UHF/VHF Coaxial cable (supplied) From Cable or Satellite Company OR If your TV does not have A/V terminals: When the VCR is in the Playback mode or when the VCR is in the VCR mode, your TV will receive signals from the VCR on either channel 3 or 4. To use the VCR with your TV, set the selector switch to CH3 or CH4 (which is located in the back of your VCR), whichever is not used for normal broadcasts in your area. Then set your TV to the same channel. CH3 OUT CH3 CH4 CH4 [Back of the VCR] You can automatically program the tuner to scan only the channels you receive in your area. • Channel memory programming is NOT needed when you connected the VCR to a cable box or satellite box as in "Connect VCR to TV". In this case, select the VCR and TV to channel 3 or 4 the same channel as the CH3 or CH4 switch on the back of the VCR. Then, the channel you want to record or view may be selected at the cable box or satellite box. • Follow the steps below once. Repeat it only if there is a power failure or if the VCR is unplugged for more than 30 seconds. (In these cases, the programmed channels are erased.) • You must follow the steps below before attempting to play or record a video tape. If you want to play or record a video tape BEFORE programming the tuner, you can cancel it by pressing [EXIT/RESET]. 1 You need to connect the antenna or cable to the VCR first. Then, connect the VCR power plug into a standard AC outlet. 2 Turn on theTV and set theTV to channel 3 or 4. Now set the CH3/CH4 switch on the back of the VCR to match the channel selected on the TV. 3 Turn on the VCR by pressing [POWER]. It comes on that both the POWER and the VCR/TV indicator. AUTOMATIC CHANNEL SET UP AUTO SET UP CH 01 Using Optional AUDIO/ VIDEO Output Jacks With this connection, you can get better pictures and sounds when playing back a tape if your TV has A/V Input jacks. Please refer to your TV’s owner’s manual. Using AUDIO/VIDEO Input Jacks You can use the A/V input jacks on the front or the back of the VCR. • To use the input jacks on the back of the VCR, select "L1" position by pressing , ,  on the remote control or [CHANNEL ]. • To use the input jacks on the front of the VCR, select "L2" position by pressing , ,  on the remote control or [CHANNEL ]. ( ) ( ) “L1” or “L2” is found before the lowest memorized channel. (Example: CH2) [Playing VCR] [TV A/V] Audio/Videocables (not supplied) IN AUDIO L R VIDEO VIDEO L R OUT IN OUT IN AUDIO PREPARATION FOR USE SETTING THE CH3/CH4 SWITCH SETUP TO SELECT A DESIRED CHANNEL
– 4 – EN SETUP PLAYBACK FUNCTION Set the clock accurately for proper automatic timer recording. We suggest that you use a TV or radio station as your time source. 1 Select main menu by pressing [MENU]. (If the clock is not set, the CLOCK SET menu appears first. In this case, follow step .) 2 Select "CLOCK SET" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. Then, press [F.FWD]. 3 Set the clock. CLOCK SET MONTH DAY YEAR 03 / 18 MON 2002 HOUR MINUTE AM/PM 05 : 40 PM AM PM Press [PLAY] or [STOP]repeatedly. Then, press [F.FWD]. Press [PLAY] or [STOP] repeatedly. Then, press [F.FWD]. The day of the week will appear automatically. Press [PLAY] or [STOP] repeatedly. Then, press [F.FWD]. Press [PLAY] or [STOP] repeatedly. Then, press [F.FWD]. Press [PLAY] or [STOP] repeatedly. Press [PLAY] or [STOP] repeatedly. Then, press [F.FWD]. Set the month Set the day Set the year Set the hour Set the minute Set the AM or PM CLOCK SET UP 1 Insert the prerecorded tape. The VCR will turn on. If the safety tab has been removed, the VCR will start playback automatically. 2 Turn on the TV and set the TV to channel 3 or 4. Now set the CH3/CH4 switch on the back of the VCR to match the channel selected on the TV. 3 Begin playback by pressing [PLAY]. • Tracking adjustment will be set automatically (Digital Tracking function) when you start playback. To adjust the tracking manually, press [CHANNEL ] on the VCR. • When a tape has reached the end, the VCR will rewind the tape to the beginning, eject the tape, and turn off the VCR automatically. • S-VHS Quasi Playback (SQPB): This unit allows you to view a tape recorded in S-VHS format. (Noise lines may appear on the picture.) 4 To stop playback, press [STOP]. ( ) • To go back one step, press [REW]. 4 Start the clock by pressing [EXIT/RESET] or [F.FWD]. STILL/SLOW You can freeze the picture on TV screen by pressing [PAUSE/STILL] during playback. • You can advance the picture by one frame at a time by pressing [PAUSE/STILL] during the still mode. • If the picture begins to vibrate vertically during the still mode, stabilize the picture by pressing [CHANNEL ]. • If the picture is distorted or rolling vertically, adjust the vertical hold control on your TV, if equipped. You can see the slow motion by pressing [SLOW] during playback or the still mode. • If the noise bar appears on the TV screen, you can reduce it by pressing [CHANNEL ]. • After the VCR has been in Still/Slow mode for 5 minutes, it will stop automatically to protect the tape and the video head from damage. • To return playback, press [PLAY]. ( ) ( ) This feature allows you to play a tape over and over. 1 Select main menu by pressing [MENU]. 2 Select "AUTO REPEAT" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. 3 Begin auto repeat playback by pressing [F.FWD] so that [ON] appears next to "AUTO REPEAT". • If the on-screen menu still remains, press [EXIT/RESET] to exit the menu. • To cancel the Auto repeat mode, press [F.FWD] at step  so that [OFF] appears next to "AUTO REPEAT". • When you set the Auto repeat mode to [ON] while the Counter memory mode is ON, the VCR will exit the Counter memory mode automatically. PICTURE SEARCH If you want to skip or repeat a scene during playback, press [F.FWD] or [REW]. • Press it again and the VCR will now search in super high speed. (in the LP/SLP modes only) AUTO REPEAT PLAYBACK SEARCH FUNCTIONS 1 Press [MENU] until the main menu appears. 2 Select "CHANNEL SET UP" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. Then, press [F.FWD]. 3 Select "AUTO SET UP" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. Then, press [F.FWD]. After scanning, the tuner stops on the lowest memorized channel. TO PRESET THE CHANNEL AGAIN TO CHANGE THE ON-SCREEN LANGUAGE PLAYBACK FUNCTION NORMAL PLAYBACK When the VCR automatically program the tuner to scan only the channels you receive in your area, some channels may be skipped due to weak signal. You can manually add the channel in the VCR memory. 1 Press [MENU] until the main menu appears. 2 Select "CHANNEL SET UP" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. Then, press [F.FWD]. 3 Select "MANUAL SET UP" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. Then, press [F.FWD]. 4 Enter the desired channel number by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. 5 Add or Delete it from memory by pressing [F.FWD] or [REW] so that "ADD" or "DELETE" flashes on the TV screen accordingly. 6 Exit the Preset mode by pressing [EXIT/RESET]. TO ADD/DELETE CHANNELS - MENU - TIMER PROGRAMMING AUTO REPEAT CHANNEL SET UP CLOCK SET LANGUAGE SELECT AUDIO OUT TV STEREO SAP [OFF] [ON] 1 Press [MENU] until the main menu appears. 2 Select "LANGUAGE SELECT" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. Then, press [F.FWD]. 3 Select "ENGLISH" or "ESPAÑOL" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. Then, press [EXIT/RESET].
– 5 – EN PLAYBACK FUNCTION RECORDING FUNCTION TIMER RECORDING You may set the VCR to start recording while you are away. You can set seven programs to record on specific days, daily or weekly within a 1 year period. 1 Insert a tape with its safety tab into the VCR. 2 Select main menu by pressing [MENU]. 3 Select "TIMER PROGRAMMING" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. Then, press [F.FWD]. • If you have not yet set the clock, "CLOCK SET" appears. If so, follow the steps  and  in "CLOCK SET UP" section. Then, set the timer recording. 4 Set the timer. • To go back one step, press [REW]. 5 To set another program, repeat step . To exit, press [EXIT/RESET]. 6 Press [POWER] to set the timer. The TIMER indicator on the VCR comes on. Select once, daily or weekly recording Set the tape speed Set the channel number Set the end time Set the start time Set the date Set the program number (1~7) Press [PLAY] or [STOP] repeatedly for the desired channel number. Then, press [F.FWD]. If you connected the VCR to a cable box or satellite box as in "Connect VCR to TV" on page 3, select the VCR to channel 3 or 4 the same channel as the CH3 or CH4 switch on the back of the VCR. Then, select the channel you want to record at the cable box or satellite box. Leave the cable box or satellite box on for timer recording. Press [PLAY] or [STOP] repeatedly for the desired tape speed. Then, press [F.FWD]. Program number which is not set up flashes. Press [PLAY] or [STOP] repeatedly for the desired program number.Then, press [F.FWD]. First, press [PLAY] or [STOP] for the month. Then, press [F.FWD]. Next, press [PLAY] or [STOP] for the day. Then, press [F.FWD]. First, press [PLAY] or [STOP] for the hour. Then, press [F.FWD]. Next, press [PLAY] or [STOP] for the minute. Then, press [F.FWD]. And then, press [PLAY] or [STOP] for AM or PM. Then, press [F.FWD]. Follow the instructions of "Set the start time" to set the end time. For weekly: Press [PLAY] or [STOP] to point to "WEEKLY". Then, press [F.FWD]. For daily (Monday~Friday): Press [PLAY] or [STOP] to point to "DAILY". PROGRAM NUMBER 4 ONCE DAILY WEEKLY ONE TIME PROGRAM PROGRAM NUMBER 4 DATE 05/13 MON START TIME 07:30 PM END TIME 08:30 PM CHANNEL 16 REC SPEED SP SP SLP PROGRAM NUMBER 4 DATE - - / - - START TIME - - : - - - - END TIME - - : - - - - CHANNEL - - REC SPEED - - For once: Press [PLAY] or [STOP] to point to "ONCE". Before recording, make sure: • The desired channel is selected by pressing [Number] on the remote control or the [CHANNEL ]. (If you connected the VCR to a cable box or satellite box as in "VCR to TV connections" on page 3, select the VCR to channel 3 or 4 the same channel as the CH3 or CH4 switch on the back of the VCR. Then, select the channel you want to record at the cable box or satellite box. In this case, you can ONLY record and view the SAME channel.) • There is a tape with its safety tab into the VCR. • The desired recording speed is selected in SP(standard play) or SLP(super long play) mode by pressing [TAPE SPEED] on the VCR. • TV STEREO or SAP is selected. 1 Begin the recording by pressing [RECORD]. • To temporarily stop recording or resume it, press [PAUSE/STILL]. After the VCR has been in Pause mode for 5 minutes, it will stop automatically to protect the tape and the video head from damage. 2 Press [STOP] when recording is completed. This feature allows you to set the recording length simply by pressing [REC/OTR] on the VCR. 1 Begin OTR by pressing [REC/OTR] on the VCR repeatedly until the desired recording length appears. ( ) It may be unlawful to record playback copyrighted material without the consent of the copyright owner. Accidental erasure prevention To prevent accidental recording on a recorded cassette, remove its record safety tab. To record on it later, cover the hole with cellophane tape. Record safety tab VIEWING AND RECORDING THE SAME PROGRAM OTR(One Touch Recording) Type of tape T60 T120 T160 SP mode 1hour 2hours 2-2/3hours SLPmod 3hour 6hour 8hour Tape Speed Recording/Playback Time (Normal recording) OTR(8:00) OTR(7:30) REC OTR(0:30) OTR(1:00)..... INDEX SEARCH The index signal is recorded on the tape automatically when the recording is started. If you want to view a recording at a specific start point, it can easily be done. 1 Press [SEARCH MODE] so that the Index Search menu appears. 2 Enter your desired number by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP] within 30 seconds. 3 Press [F.FWD] or [REW] to start index search. If you want to go in the forward direction, press [F.FWD]. If you want to go in the reverse direction, press [REW]. • After index search, the VCR will play the tape automatically. TIME SEARCH This feature allows you to fast forward or rewind the tape for a desired length of time. 1 Press [SEARCH MODE] so that the Time Search menu appears. 2 Enter your desired time to skip by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP] within 30 seconds. 3 Press [F.FWD] or [REW] to start time search. If you want to go in the forward direction, press [F.FWD]. If you want to go in the reverse direction, press [REW]. • After time search, the VCR will play the tape automatically. TIME SEARCH 2 : 50 INDEX SEARCH 03 RECORDING FUNCTION
– 6 – EN RECORDING FUNCTION SPECIAL FEATURES MTS RECORDING/MONITOR MODE Type of broadcast Hi-Fi audio track (2-channel) Normal audio track Regular (monaural audio) -None- Mono Stereo broadcast STEREO L+R Bilingual broadcast SAP Main audio program Sub audio program Stereo & Bilingual broadcast STEREO SAP L+R I STEREO/SAP Selection -Invalid- - nvalid- TV STEREO* SAP* TV STEREO* SAP* L-channel Mono L Main audio program Sub audio program L Sub audio program R-channel Mono R Main audio program Sub audio program R Sub audio program Sub audio program * You must select the recording mode in TV STEREO or SAP before you record a broadcast. Display on the TV screen SPECIAL FEATURES MTS (Multi-Channel Television Sound) SYSTEM When you play a VHS tape, or receive a broadcast on the VCR tuner channel you are watching, the status shown below will appear when you press [DISPLAY] on the remote control. When you record the MTS broadcast signal, you need setting the MTS mode. 1) Press [MENU] and select "TV STEREO" or "SAP" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. Then, press [F.FWD] for fix mode. To exit, press [EXIT/RESET]. • Although a program may be broadcast in both stereo and second audio, you must select the Recording mode in TV STEREO or SAP before you record a broadcast. 2) Press [MENU] and select "AUDIO OUT" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. Then, press [F.FWD]. Next, select "HIFI" or "MONO" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. To exit, press [EXIT/RESET]. • While theVCR is set in HIFI stereo mode, HIFI appears on the TV screen. While the VCR is set in monaural (MONO) mode, HIFI disappears from the TV screen. STOP 12:00AM CH 32 STEREO SAP SP 0:00:00 HIFI 1) 2) COUNTER MEMORY FUNCTION You can make copies of video tapes made by friends or relatives for your enjoyment. Warning: Unauthorized recordings of copyrighted video tapes may be an infringement of copyright laws. Connect the recording VCR(this unit), the playing VCR (another source) and your TV using the following diagram. 1) Insert a pre-recorded tape into the playing VCR. 2) Insert a tape with its safety tab into the recording VCR. 3) Press [TAPE SPEED] on the recording VCR to select the desired recording speed (SP/SLP). 4) Select the “L1” or “L2”position on the recording VCR. See page 3, under “Using AUDIO/VIDEO Input jacks”. 5) Press [REC/OTR] on the recording VCR. 6) Begin playback of the tape in the playing VCR. • For best results during dubbing, use the VCR’s front panel controls whenever possible. The remote control might affect the playing VCR’s operation. • Always use video-quality shielded cables with RCA-type connectors. Standard audio cables are not recommended. • You can use a video disc player, satellite receiver, or other audio/video component with A/V outputs in place of the playing VCR. TO MONITOR THE RECORDING 1) Turn on the TV and set the TV to channel 3 or 4. Now set the CH3/CH4 switch on the back of the VCR to match the channel selected on the TV. 2) Press [VCR/TV] on the recording VCR so that the VCR/TV indicator comes on. COPYING A VIDEO TAPE ANT in [TV set] (Use for monitoring) Coaxial cable (supplied) VIDEO IN OUT CH3 CH4 AUDIO L R IN OUT OUT IN ANT [Playing VCR] (another source) Audio/Video cables (not supplied) IN OUT AUDIO VIDEO LEFT RIGHT [Recording VCR] (this unit) Use this feature to memorize the beginning of recording start point. 1) Press [COUNTER RESET] on the remote control to reset the counter. 2) Press [COUNTER MEMORY] on the remote control so that “M” appears on the TV screen. 3) Record the program. 4) After recording, press [STOP] then [REW]. • When “0:00:00” is reached, rewinding operation goes to stop. And you can view the recording program. • [COUNTER MEMORY] does not function if the Auto repeat mode is set to [ON]. In this case, set the Auto repeat mode to [OFF]. • To cancel the Counter memory mode, press [COUNTER MEMORY] so that “M” disappears from the TV screen. REC SP M0:00:00 M0:00:00 HINTS FOR TIMER RECORDING • If there is a power failure or the VCR is unplugged for more than 30 seconds, the clock setting and all timer settings will be lost. • If the tape runs out before the end time, the VCR will switch to the Stop mode immediately, eject the tape and the VCR power will be turned off. The TIMER indicator will flash. • If a tape is not in the VCR or does not have the safety tab, the TIMER indicator flashes and timer recording cannot be performed. Please insert a recordable tape. TO STOP AN AUTOMATIC TIMER PROGRAM ALREADY STARTED Press [STOP/EJECT] on the VCR. TO CHECK, CORRECT, OR CANCEL AN AUTOMATIC TIMER PROGRAM 1 Turn the power on by pressing [POWER]. 2 Select main menu by pressing [MENU]. 3 Select "TIMER PROGRAMMING" by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. Then, press [F.FWD]. 4 Select the program number which you want to check by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. The details of the selected program appears on the TV screen. • Go to the digit you want to change by pressing [F.FWD] or [REW]. Then, enter correct numbers by pressing [PLAY] or [STOP]. • You may cancel the entire program by pressing [REW] during the program number flashes. 5 Press [EXIT/RESET] to exit. 6 Press [POWER] to return to timer stand-by mode.
– 7 – EN SPECIAL FEATURES SPECIFICATIONS MAINTENANCE TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE AUTO REWIND REAL TIME TAPE COUNTER When a tape has reached the end during recording, playback, or fast-forward, the tape will automatically rewind to the beginning. After rewinding finishes, the VCR will eject the tape and turn itself to off. • The VCR will not rewind the tape automatically during timer recording or One Touch Recording. • When the Counter Memory is activated, the tape will rewind to the M0:00:00 and the VCR will go into the Stop mode. • This shows the elapsed recording or playback time in hours, minutes, and seconds. (The displayed time will not change during blank portions on the tape.) • The indication will appear when the tape is rewound further than “0:00:00” on the tape counter. Operating temperature : 5ºC~40ºC (41ºF~104ºF) Converter output : VHF Channel 3 or 4. Power requirement : 120V, 60Hz Power consumption : 14 Watts Dimensions : W 14-1/4” (360mm) H 3-5/8” (92mm) D 8-1/2” (216mm) Weight : 4.4 lbs. (2.0 Kg.) (approx.) SERVICING Should your VCR become inoperative, do not try to correct the problem by yourself. There are no user-serviceable parts inside. Turn off, unplug the power plug, and please call our help line at 1-800-968-3429, to locate an Authorized Service Center. CABINET CLEANING • Wipe the front panel and other exterior surfaces of the VCR with a soft cloth immersed in lukewarm water and wrung dry. • Never use a solvent or alcohol. Do not spray insecticide liquid near the VCR. Such chemicals may cause damage and discoloration to the exposed surfaces. AUTO HEAD CLEANING • Automatically cleans video heads as you insert or remove a cassette, so you can see a clear picture. • Playback picture may become blurred or interrupted while the TV program reception is clear. Dirt accumulated on the video heads after long periods of use, or the usage of rental or worn tapes can cause this problem. If a streaky or snowy picture appears during playback, the video heads in your VCR may need to be cleaned. 1. Please visit your local Audio/Video store and purchase a good quality VHS Video Head Cleaner. 2. If a Video Head Cleaner does not solve the problem, please call our help line at 1-800-968-3429, to locate an Authorized Service Center. NOTES: • Remember to read the instructions included with the video head cleaner before use. • Clean video heads only when problems occur. • Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice and legal obligation. • If there is a discrepancy between languages, the default language will be English. If you have followed the instructions contained in this manual and have difficulty in operating your VCR, locate the PROBLEM in the left column below. Check the corresponding CORRECTIVE ACTION column to remedy the problem. PROBLEM CORRECTIVE ACTION No power. • Make sure the power plug is connected to an AC outlet. • Make sure the power is turned on. Timer recording is impossible. • Make sure the timer recording is set correctly. • Make sure the power is off. • Make sure the VCR clock is set correctly. Cannot go into Record mode. • Make sure the tape has a safety tab. If needed, cover the hole with cellophane tape. Playback picture is partially noisy. • Adjust tracking control for a better picture by pressing [CHANNEL ] on the VCR. Cannot view a tape but the • Head cleaning may be necessary. Refer to “AUTO HEAD CLEANING” . audio is OK. • Make sure the VCR is not in the Menu mode. No or poor playback picture. • Select channel 3 or 4 at your TV, then press [VCR/TV] so that the VCR/TV indicator on the VCR comes on. • Fine tune your TV. TV programs cannot be seen • Re-check the ANT. IN and ANT. OUT connections. See page 3. normally. • Press [VCR/TV] so that the VCR/TV indicator on the VCR disappears. No VCR operation from the • Make sure the power plug is connected to an AC outlet. infrared Remote Control. • Check batteries in remote control. Video or color fades in and out • You cannot copy a copyrighted video tape. You are experiencing copy guard protection. when making a copy of a video tape. ( ) MAINTENANCE SPECIFICATIONS TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE
Have a question about the Sylvania KVS600A but cannot find the answer in the user manual? Perhaps the users of ManualsCat.com can help you answer your question. By filling in the form below, your question will appear below the manual of the Sylvania KVS600A. Please make sure that you describe your difficulty with the Sylvania KVS600A as precisely as you can. The more precies your question is, the higher the chances of quickly receiving an answer from another user. You will automatically be sent an e-mail to inform you when someone has reacted to your question.